Table of Contents
|March 13, 2020
|Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, MORE
Borderlands has had some good story beats over the years, and Borderlands 2 in particular created an iconic gaming villain in the form of Handsome Jack. Borderlands 3 is much of the same unique cavalcade of fun times, crazy exploits and an explosion of kooky characters and weapons galore.
As we’re approaching 2 years since Borderlands 3 launched, the game’s developer, Gearbox Studios (which also founded the Borderlands series in 2009) decided it was time to fine tune this third feature in their epic series with the roll out of the much anticipated Crossplay update. If you’re not familiar with Borderlands 3 (or the Borderlands series in general), stick around to get the scoop on the game and how the new Crossplay update will make gameplay more fun than ever before! In this article, we’ll explore everything you need to know about Borderlands 3 gameplay with crossplay, including how to enable crossplay, how to play with friends on other platforms, and the benefits and challenges of crossplay.
Borderlands 3 in a Nutshell
Borderlands 3 is a first-person shooter game that features both single-player and multiplayer modes. The game’s story takes place several years after the events of Borderlands 2 and revolves around the Vault Hunters, who are searching for new Vaults across the galaxy. The game features four playable characters, each with their unique abilities and skill trees.
The major feature of Borderlands 3 is that there are no shortage of weapon options. Actually, there are over one billion (with a B!) guns in Borderlands 3, and every fight is an opportunity to add to your arsenal.
The gameplay of Borderlands 3 revolves around completing quests, fighting enemies, and collecting loot. The game features a vast array of weapons, including guns, grenades, and melee weapons, which can be upgraded and customized to suit the player’s playstyle. The game also features vehicles, which can be used to travel across the game’s various environments.
Borderlands 3 features a variety of different enemy types, each with their unique abilities and weaknesses. The game also features bosses, which require the player to use their skills and equipment to defeat. The game’s difficulty increases as the player progresses through the story, with enemies becoming more challenging and requiring more skill and strategy to defeat.
Borderlands 3’s story revolves around the Vault Hunters, who are searching for new Vaults across the galaxy. The story takes place several years after the events of Borderlands 2 and features returning characters such as Lilith, Claptrap, and Marcus. The game also features new characters such as Tyreen and Troy Calypso, who are the main antagonists of the game.
The story of Borderlands 3 is told through cutscenes, dialogue, and quests. The game’s world is filled with lore and backstory, which can be explored through the game’s various environments and side quests. The game’s story is engaging and entertaining, with plenty of humor and wit, which is a hallmark of the Borderlands series.
Borderlands 3 Crossplay Update
Crossplay was released to Borderlands 3 for the Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, Mac, Stadia, and PC via Steam and the Epic Games Store on June 24th to the delight of gamers around the world. This feature allows gamers to team up with their friends to experience the shooting and looting mayhem together.
One of the best features of Borderlands 3 is the ability to play with others in a cooperative mode, which makes it an excellent game for multiplayer fans. However, if you’re playing on one platform, such as PC, and your friends are on another platform, such as Xbox, you might think that you’re out of luck when it comes to playing together. Thankfully, that’s where crossplay comes in.
Crossplay is a feature that allows players to join games with friends who are playing on different platforms. In Borderlands 3, crossplay allows players on Xbox, PlayStation, PC, and Stadia to play together. This means that you can play with your friends regardless of the platform they are on.
As part of the cross-play update, seasonal events no longer have “end dates,” meaning the fan-favorite Revenge of the Cartels is here to stay. Events can be perused on the main menu, where players can replay them endlessly. However, this infinite replayability only applies to seasonal events; players cannot go back into previous mini-events like the Arms Race and True Trials.
Will take a closer look at how to boost Your Borderlands 3 Gameplay with Crossplay and explore its various features and benefits.
To enable crossplay in Borderlands 3, players must first link their SHiFT account to their respective gaming platform account. SHiFT is a service that allows players to earn rewards and bonuses for various games. It is required to enable crossplay in Borderlands 3.
To link your SHiFT account to your platform account, follow these steps:
- Go to the Borderlands website and create a SHiFT account.
- Once your SHiFT account is created, log in to your account.
- From the SHiFT dashboard, click on the “Connect” button next to the platform you want to link.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to link your platform account to your SHiFT account.
Once your platform account is linked to your SHiFT account, you can enable crossplay in Borderlands 3.
To enable crossplay in Borderlands 3, follow these steps:
The first thing you need to do to get started with crossplay in Borderlands 3 is to enable the feature in the game’s options. Here’s how you can do it:
Step 1: Launch Borderlands 3 on your preferred platform.
Step 2: Go to the main menu and select “Options.”
Step 3: Select “Social” from the options menu.
Step 4: Turn on the “Crossplay” option.
Step 5: Choose your preferred display name and select “Save and Apply.”
Once you’ve enabled crossplay, you’ll be able to join games with friends on other platforms.
This Crossplay Display Name must meet the following requirements:
- Must be a unique name not already in use by another Borderlands 3 player
- Must be between 3-16 characters long
- Must start with a letter, and is limited to a-z, A-Z, 0-9, or non-consecutive underscore, hyphen, or period/full-stop characters
That’s it! You’ve now enabled crossplay in Borderlands 3, and you’re ready to start playing with friends on other platforms.
Playing with Friends on Other Platforms
Now that you’ve enabled crossplay, you’re ready to start playing with your friends on other platforms. To do this, you need to follow these steps:
Step 1: Invite your friends to join your game.
Step 2: Wait for your friends to join your game.
Step 3: Start playing together!
If you’re playing on PC, you can invite your friends to join your game using your Epic Games account. If you’re playing on Xbox, PlayStation, or Stadia, you can invite your friends to join your game using the platform’s built-in invitation system. Once your friends have joined your game, you can start playing together.
New Gameplay Features in Borderlands 3 with Crossplay
Crossplay has introduced several new gameplay features in Borderlands 3, which have significantly enhanced the game’s multiplayer experience. Here are some of the main new gameplay features in Borderlands 3 with crossplay:
- Larger player base: Crossplay has significantly increased the game’s player base. Since players on different platforms can play together, there are more people to play with, which means that you’ll have more options when it comes to finding players.
- Improved matchmaking: With crossplay, matchmaking has improved significantly. Since there are more players to match with, you’re more likely to find a match quickly, which means that you can spend more time playing and less time waiting.
- More diverse gameplay: With crossplay, you can play with players from different regions and countries. This means that you can experience different play styles and strategies, which can make the game more diverse and exciting.
- More challenging gameplay: Crossplay can make the game more challenging. When you’re playing with players from different platforms, you’re playing against people with different skills and play styles, which can make the game more challenging and exciting.
- Improved communication: Crossplay has also improved communication between players. Since players on different platforms can play together, there’s a greater need for communication, which means that players are more likely to communicate and work together to achieve their goals.
Benefits of Crossplay in Borderlands 3
Crossplay is a fantastic feature in Borderlands 3, and it comes with several benefits that can enhance your gaming experience. Here are some of the main benefits of crossplay:
- Play with friends on other platforms: Crossplay allows you to play with your friends who are on other platforms. This means that you don’t have to worry about which platform your friends are on; you can all play together.
- Find more players: Crossplay allows you to find more players to play with. Since you’re not limited to playing with players on your own platform, you can find more people to play with, which means that you’ll have more options when it comes to finding players.
- Play with a wider range of players: Crossplay allows you to play with players from different regions and countries. This means that you can play with people from all over the world, which can be a fantastic way to meet new people and experience different play styles.
- More competition: Crossplay can also make the game more challenging. When you’re playing with players from different platforms, you’re playing against people with different skills and play styles, which can make the game more challenging and exciting.
Challenges of Crossplay in Borderlands 3
While Crossplay in Borderlands 3 brings many benefits, it also presents several challenges, including:
- Platform differences: One of the primary challenges of crossplay in Borderlands 3 is platform differences. Players on different platforms may experience different gameplay and performance, which can impact the overall gaming experience. For example, players on PC may have access to higher frame rates and graphics settings, which can give them an advantage over players on consoles. Additionally, players on consoles may experience input lag, making it difficult to aim accurately and respond quickly to in-game events.
- Control and Input differences: Players using different control methods, such as keyboard and mouse or gamepad, may have an advantage or disadvantage over others, creating an unbalanced playing field. For example, players using a keyboard and mouse may have greater precision and accuracy when aiming, while players using a gamepad may have a more intuitive and comfortable control scheme.
- Communication issues: Crossplay requires players to communicate effectively, and communication can be difficult when players are using different platforms and communication tools.
- Security risks: Crossplay presents security risks, such as data breaches and hacking, which can impact the safety and security of players’ information.
The addition of Crossplay in Borderlands 3 is an exciting update that brings many benefits to players. It allows players to connect and play with friends on different platforms, increases the player pool, and enhances the overall gaming experience. However, Crossplay also presents several challenges, such as platform differences and communication issues. Despite these challenges, Crossplay in Borderlands 3 is a welcome addition that will undoubtedly enhance the game’s appeal and longevity.
Where to Buy Borderlands 3
Borderlands 3 is now available for macOS, Google Stadia, Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 4/5, and Xbox One/Series X/S. Gamers should note that this game won the award for the Best Multiplayer Game at Gamescom during its launch in 2019. If you’re interested in purchasing a digital copy of Borderlands 3 and trying out the new Crossplay update for yourself, you can purchase your digital copy for Xbox One/Series X for 76% off the retail price (while supplies last)!
If you’re going through the main campaign with the intent of enjoying all that there is to see, you can expect to clock up 25-30 hours of playtime. The endgame, however, may take upwards of 60 hours to even access.
According to Gamespot, PAX Online Digital Showcase, Gearbox detailed the new features coming to Borderlands 3, including confirmation that it will launch on PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series S/Series X with cross-progression and cross-save support
You may have noticed that the Borderlands 3 reveal trailer and yesterday’s pre-order trailer were bizarrely devoid of meaty gameplay information.
Also if you’re interested in earning with Electronic First as soon as today, check out our affiliate program. You can share your link with friends, family or anyone. Sign up today to reap the rewards!