Table of Contents
Lets reveal everything we know about Hades 2, from its early access debut to the narrative shift and the fascinating Greek mythology.
If you’ve been living under a rock since 2020, then it’s quite possible you might have missed out on one of the most exceptional games of that year, Hades, developed by Supergiant Games. Widely regarded as a masterpiece, Hades garnered praise for its ingenuous blend of multiple gaming genres, presenting a unique and accessible take on the traditionally challenging roguelike formula. The game’s success can be attributed not only to its gameplay mechanics, but also to its clever writing and a visually stunning art style that somehow manages to breathe new life into Greek mythology, making it simultaneously fresh and familiar.
The Game Awards last year brought great news for fans of Hades, with the announcement of its direct sequel, Hades 2. And given the standards set by its predecessor, anticipation for the sequel is quite high. Hades 2, the first-ever sequel from Supergiant Games, is slated for early access in early 2024. The trailer provides a glimpse into what sets Hades 2 apart, offering fans an exciting continuation of the Hades universe. As we await its release, I think it’s the perfect time to reveal everything we know about Hades 2, from its early access debut to the intriguing narrative shift and the fascinating exploration of Greek mythology.
Hades 2- Story
Players assume the role of Melanoi in Hades 2, the sibling of Zagreus, the protagonist of the first game, and the daughter of Hades. The story centers around the escaped Titan Cronos, who, driven by a thirst for revenge, seeks to settle the score with the gods of Olympus. Supergiant Games has aptly labeled Cronos as the Titan of Time, a clever fusion of the Titan Cronos, father of Zeus and Hades, and Cronos, the Greek personification of time. The setting of Hades 2 remains the Underworld, albeit with a fresh twist. The game introduces new locations, dangerous adversaries, and an expanded lore. Supergiant Games’ decision to revisit the Underworld ensures continuity with a formula that made the first game a roaring success.
One notable aspect is that playing the original Hades isn’t a prerequisite to understanding Hades 2. Supergiant Games has assured players that while there will be a continuation of the overarching narrative, the sequel is designed to stand on its own. However, for those who have traversed the Underworld in the first game, there’s a treat in store. Hades 2 will be filled with references and nods to its predecessor. Beyond the narrative ties, Supergiant is doubling down on its commitment to infuse the game with even more references to Greek mythology and culture. This approach aims to deepen the immersion for both returning players and newcomers alike, ensuring that the world of Hades 2 is as richly detailed as its predecessor.
Hades 2- Characters
- Melinoe– the protagonist of Hades 2, is the daughter of Hades and Persephone, making her Zagreus’ sister and the granddaughter of Cronos. With mismatched red and green eyes, her most notable feature is a green, transparent left arm, its origin yet unknown. Drawing inspiration from Greek mythology, Melinoe’s character design hints at her role as a moon goddess, wielding a dagger and crescent-shaped scythe.
- Hecate– the goddess of witchcraft, necromancy, and crossroads, mentors Melanoi in Hades 2. Their initial battle in the trailer turns out to be a training exercise, showcasing Hecate’s towering frame and witch-like apparel. While separate entities in the game, the association between Hecate and Melanoi aligns with some versions of Greek myths.
- Moros– Doom incarnate. Moros, the god of Doom and Melanoi’s ally, briefly appears in the Hades 2 trailer, encouraging her to make things better. As the Sun of the Night goddess, Nix, Maros personifies impending doom in Greek mythology, raising suspicion about his motivations in the game.
- Apollo– god of light. Apollo, the god of light and the sun, allies with Melanoi, offering boons that enhance her attack capabilities in Hades II. Drawing from ancient Greek associations with archery and music, Apollo’s character design incorporates a golden bow with lyre-like strings.
- Nemesis– retribution incarnate. Nemesis, Maros sister and another ally of Melanoi, embodies the goddess of retribution. Traditionally associated with justice and divine punishment, her appearance in Hades 2 reflects a muscular warrior goddess with vaguely Roman-looking armor.
- Dora– the listless shade. Dora, a shade, interacts with Melanoi during her quest in Hades 2. Despite limited information about her role, Dora’s brief appearance in the trailer suggests a somewhat friendly and humorous dynamic with Melanoi.
- Hades– the king of the underworld and Melanoi’s father, takes on a complex role in Hades 2. Previously an antagonist in the first game, he is now imprisoned by the titan Kronos.
- Zeus– king of the Olympians. Zeus, ruling the god of Olympus and Hades’ younger brother, adds tension to the game with his strained relationship with Hades. Despite saving Hades from Kronos, their icy interaction hints at deeper conflicts.
- Chronos– the titan of time and father to Hades, Zeus and Poseidon, serves as the antagonist in Hades 2. Escaping the underworld, Chronos seeks to defeat the Olympian gods and reclaim his throne, setting the stage for an epic battle against the titans.
Hades 2 continues the legacy of its predecessor as a rogue-like dungeon crawler, promising a grander, mythic underworld experience with new locations, challenges and upgrade systems. Melanoi brings a fresh dynamic to the gameplay, wielding a unique arsenal as a witch and sorceress. Like Zagreus, her abilities include powerful magical spells and deadly skills with shadowy weapons. The debut trailer showcases Melanoian action, engaging in combat against the forces led by the titan of time. Like the original Hades, players will once again harness the powers of Olympus to enhance and customize their abilities, providing a strategic edge in their relentless journey through the mythic realm.
Hades 2 is slated for an Early Access release in Q2 2024 on Steam and the Epic Game Store. Early Access provides an opportunity to purchase and experience a work-in-progress version allowing players to offer valuable feedback before the official launch. Supergiant assures that Hades 2, even in Early Access, will boast content comparable to the original game’s initial Early Access release on Steam. Despite being an incomplete version, the studio is committed to delivering a worthwhile experience from the outset. The goal is to engage players in the evolving world of Hades 2, ensuring that every moment spent in the game is captivating and rewarding.
Release Date and Platforms
With the Early Access release window unveiled, the full release date for Hades 2 is projected to be around March 2025, drawing from the 22-month gap between the prequel’s Early Access and official launch. Hades initiated its Early Access phase in December 2018 and officially launched in September 2020. Following the pattern of the first game, Hades 2 is expected to be available on PC, Nintendo Switch, Xbox Series XS, and PS5. But much as with the original Hades, the console release is probably going to happen after Early Access.
As we look forward to Hades 2, the gaming community is eager to see how Supergiant Games will expand upon the narrative universe. Will Hades 2 follow in the footsteps of its predecessor, introducing an interesting storyline with well-developed characters and unexpected twists?
The idea of a straight sequel invites fresh inquiries and investigations of the world of Greek mythology. Hades 2, in summary, has emerged as a ray of hope for roguelike enthusiasts, promising to bring both an expansion of the cherished gameplay mechanics and the compelling story that elevated the first game to exceptional popularity. The sequel has the potential to further cement Hades’s reputation as one of the best independent series to date as well as one of the greatest roguelikes ever developed. The legacy of Hades endures. In Hades 2, what are you most looking forward to? Tell us in the comments section below.
For more information about Hades 2 and other AAA titles check out the Electronic First blog.
Also if you’re interested in earning with Electronic First as soon as today, check out our affiliate program. You can share your link with friends, family or anyone. Sign up today to reap the rewards!